Choosing the correct slate for a roof replacement is hugely important, here are a few things to consider:
- Always ask for a sample of the slate before you place an order.
- The slate should be tested to BS EN 123261 (the recognised standard for natural slate quality).
- Check the grade, for slate graded T1, which is the highest grade, the less the likelihood of oxidising pyrites in the slate, which lead to rust-coloured staining.
- Slate is also graded by its tendency to absorb water and the lower the number, the better – low water absorption is linked to longer life. The maximum water absorption in the UK is 0.6.
- Look out for S (carbonate content), slate that is graded S1 is the best.
If you are looking to get your slate roof replaced, contact McCarthy Partnership to see how we can help.